Unity 3D Intro: How to Start Developing VR Using Unity
When it comes to new developments in virtual and augmented reality, the name of Unity rises as one of the biggest game development platforms that occupies the largest market share in this sector.
Between April and July 2015, there were more than 174,000 games created using Unity, and more than 2.5 billion games were downloaded.
Unity is a cross-platform game engine that is used by developers to create various AR and VR experiences. It can be used to create 2D games, 3D games, interactive simulations, and other XR experiences that satisfy users’ needs in various situations and industries.
Although the primary purpose of Unity is to create games, it’s popular in other niches and industries. For example, Unity has been used to create VR and AR experiences in the retail business, information technology, education and training, and mining and metals industries.
The beauty of Unity lies in its simplicity, as it’s compatible with multiple devices and allows users to create apps easily. So, how can you use this platform to develop functional Unity VR apps? Keep on reading to learn more about the best way to use this platform.
Why is Unity Used to Create VR Apps?
Unity is a user-friendly platform that can be used to create mobile and room-scale VR. Since its release in 2005, Unity has managed to attract developers and XR enthusiasts as it facilitates the creation of responsive XR games and XR experiences in several settings.
So, why is Unity the most popular development platform?
- Unity is available for multiple platforms. It allows developers to make their apps more accessible to the public. From the customer’s point of view, you’ll be able to enjoy a virtual reality or augmented reality experience regardless of the device or operating system you’re using.
- Unity is designed to help users design apps even if they don’t have previous coding experience. So you can actually design and operate an app even if you don’t know how to write a single line of coding.
- There are a lot of tutorials for beginner developers to choose from, so you can quickly learn how to build a VR or AR app.
- If you’re an amateur or a beginner developer, Unity will be the right platform for you because it offers a free package. However, there’s a paid version that offers more features and premium customer support if you’re a professional.
- As a developer, you have the freedom to create 2D games as well as 3D games in addition to all sorts of immersive experiences that can be later implemented in various settings and industries. Today Unity contributes to more than 60% of the VR and AR content in the market.
- Unity offers a smooth customizable rendering technology to improve the quality of graphics.
- Unity offers an impressive asset store that allows users to pick the right tools to build their apps. Everything you need, from objects to audio files, patterns, and textures, will be available for download, so you can easily incorporate it into your created app.
- There’s a strong community that offers support, whether you’re a beginner developer or an amateur. You can learn a lot by checking the forums and the questions that other developers ask, so you can design a flawless app.
How Is VR/AR Unity Used in Different Industries?
Despite being primarily designed for creating games, Unity has been used to create an immersive AR and VR experience in various industries, making XR technology more accessible and easier to use. There are several good examples of how developers used this platform to create responsive apps in various niches.
- Shapes is one of the most successful applications of Unity in the field of education as it enables teachers to teach their students about geometry by improving critical thinking and spatial reasoning. While some students face difficulties dealing with spatial geometry, this app makes shapes and relationships easier to understand.
- Kavtek is another successful application of Unity in the home improvement and remodeling business. This is an AR application for retail professionals and their clients as they can change the floors, tiles, walls, cabinets, and appliances to see how their unit will look when it’s finished. For retailers, this app provides an excellent experience as it helps them develop and visualize a concept to make it more appealing to interested parties.
- Arilyn Manager is a practical app designed for marketing experts. Using the app, marketers are able to create a virtual showroom and design an augmented reality marketing campaign to provide end-users with an immersive experience. In addition, with no previous coding experience, users are able to create appealing AR content supported by Unity.
How to Design Unity VR Apps Like a Pro
Regardless of your niche, learning how to design and develop a responsive 3D Unity VR app will be a great addition to your business. Unity is compatible with Oculus and Windows Mixed Reality. Both platforms are accessible and easy to use, so you can quickly build your app and get it to work.
Unity is also supported by several third-party apps like GoogleVR, OpenVR, and XR Interaction Toolkit. Regardless of the platform you’re using, you need to download the plug-in and create an account to be able to design your VR or AR app using Unity.
In total, Unity supports more than 20 platforms for mobile, desktop, consoles, and web, so you can pick the right one based on your needs. These platforms will also allow you to expand your audience as you’re able to reach users regardless of their preferred device or platform.
So, how can you design a 3D game or any other app using Unity? As a matter of fact, the process is easy and can be summarized in the following steps.
- Download the latest version of Unity. Unity is free, so you can experiment with creating 3D virtual reality apps, but Unity has a paid package that offers more features if you’re a professional.
- Check the required plug-ins and download them, based on whether you’re developing an app for Android or iOS.
- Set up a new project on Unity and give it a name. Then choose an asset and download the Environment package based on your chosen operating system.
- Enable the VR features of the app by selecting the operating system and Build. Next, you need to choose Landscape and enable Virtual Reality support.
- Fine-tune your project by adding and modifying objects to make them more suitable for your created scene. There’s a drop-down list that allows you to pick the right objects to add to your system.
- Test your created VR app using a VR controller. It will show you how the objects will interact to change the actions based on how the various objects respond to create a better user experience.
- Play the game. Once all the settings have been modified and fine-tuned, it’s time to play the game of your choice. It will be a custom-made game or app that has been specifically created to cater to your needs.
Want to Use Unity?
Want to know more about Unity VR development? At WeAR Studio, we have lots of success stories that we managed to accomplish using Unity. So, if you’re planning to build an app using Unity, you’ve come to the right place.
All you have to do is send us an email today, and we’ll answer all your questions and help you design a successful app. The world of augmented and virtual reality is just a few clicks away.