4 Tips to Build Augmented Reality Mobile Apps
Augmented reality isn’t just about gaming and entertainment, and there’s a significant increase in the popularity of the use of this technology in numerous industries. This is why there’s a vast demand for the production of functional and practical augmented reality mobile apps that users can easily access and use.
Almost half of the world’s population own and use smartphones, and this means that creating augmented reality mobile apps is one of the best ways this technology can spread wider. Furthermore, the increase in the number of augmented reality app users from 200 million in 2015 to an estimated number of 2.4 billion users in 2023 emphasizes the need for investing in designing and developing more accessible mobile apps.
But what are the best tips to build a successful augmented reality mobile app? How can you make sure that your app is designed and developed to provide the right value to potential users? In this article, we’ll answer this question. So, keep on reading.
See Also: ARCore Apps: Getting Started
Why Should You Build an Augmented Reality App for Your Business?
Unlike virtual reality that needs a special headset and controllers, AR mobile apps are already optimized for the smartphones that your potential and current clients already own. These apps blend real-life and created elements for a new reality that provides value. The apps can be solely designed to deliver entertaining content, but they can also be used for education, training, business management, and marketing.
So, should you only think about building an AR mobile app for your business just because everyone else in the industry is doing the same? Before you answer this question, you need to understand what are the benefits that such an app will add to your business.
- AR mobile apps definitely set you away from the competition. If you want to be a pioneer in your business, then you definitely need to offer something that your competitors don’t.
- When it comes to entertainment and gaming, AR mobile apps will make the fun more accessible and easier to use. More people will be able to use your game, which results in the improvement of your platform’s status.
- Augmented reality mobile apps enhance users’ experience. Your current and potential clients feel that they’re part of your marketing or advertising campaign and not just sitting on the receiving end. As a result, they will be more engaged with your content.
- AR mobile apps can deliver more information than other tools. Compared to other advertising tools, AR apps will allow users to be part of the experience whether they’re employees on your team, current clients, or potential ones.
- You can use augmented reality mobile apps to train your employees. These apps create real-life situations and allow your current and new employees to understand business operations, improve their performance, and learn how to deal with emergencies.
- AR mobile apps allow users to browse your website and check your products and services whenever they want. This way, you can expect a higher engagement rate, and they can also share the app with their friends on social media.
- Augmented reality mobile apps are used in business management because they create a safe and stress-free environment to train new employees and introduce them to new products or business operations.
- Potential and current users can test your products and assess their value before buying them. This will drastically decrease return rates because users know what they’re buying and how it can help them before actually paying for it. In addition, it’s a great selling point when your customers are buying furniture or clothes.
How to Build Augmented Reality App? Best 4 Tips
Due to the amazing advantages of incorporating augmented reality in your new mobile app, there are several tips and tricks that you need to follow to make sure that it’s functional and successful. Following these tips guarantees that your mobile app will quickly become popular.
Diving into new technology always feels intimidating, but these tips will help you create a successful app that serves its purpose.
- Do your research and scan the market properly. Studying your competition is a great way to analyze what to offer in your augmented reality mobile app.
- Explore the available AR platforms and SDKs to choose the right one to design and execute your idea. There are several options available, so you need to select the one that fits your budget and experience, whether you’re experienced with programming languages or not.
- If you’re not going to download 3D objects or models to use in your created AR mobile app, you should learn how to create them from scratch.
- Make sure that your content is unique. Everything you add to your app should be new, even if you’re studying a competitor’s work.
What Are the Best Tools to Build Augmented Reality Mobile Apps?
An SDK or a software development kit is a compatible set of different software tools that facilitate creating apps. All the needed tools are compiled together in a single package that other people can use while developing an app. This means that creating augmented reality mobile apps has become easier and less time-consuming for all entrepreneurs and developers.
There are several factors that you need to consider before choosing an SDK or platform to create your AR mobile app. These include native AR tools support, compatibility with different operating platforms, need for or lack of programming language, future updates, and licenses required.
Luckily, there are several platforms that you can choose from to guarantee that your AR mobile app will function just the way you like it. Here are some of the best tools that you can use to build your future AR mobile app.
- ARCore is a free software framework developed by Google to build augmented reality apps and uses potent motion tracking to create an immersive experience by analyzing the motion of the device relative to the world. It can be used with Android and iOS devices but needs a special SDK known as Sceneform to work properly.
- Vuforia is a practical platform that creates AR apps for Windows, Unity Editor, Android, and iOS. As a result, it’s one of the most popular tools that you can use to develop an app regardless of the target device or medium. It’s even compatible with older iPhone devices that the other platforms don’t support.
- ARKit is an SDK that is used to create AR apps for iOS devices. It allows you to design an app using the front or rear camera of your smartphone or mobile device to create an immersive and shareable experience using 2D and 3D objects.
- Wikitude is a comprehensive framework that can be used by mobile apps to create location-based augmented reality using location tracking and image recognition. It supports Android, iOS, and Windows, and you can opt for the free or tier-based version.
- ARToolKit is an open-source augmented reality SDK that allows for the recognition and tracking of various objects to help your device understands the environment and create a better AR experience. It’s a cross-platform SDK, currently operating on Windows, Linux, Android, and iOS.
Want to Build an Augmented Reality Mobile App?
You’ve come to the right place because the experts at WeAR Studio have the necessary experience to make your ideas come to life. We encourage you to contact us, and we will discuss your idea, explain what works for you, and work on turning your vision into reality. So, contact us today.